Collar Works 2018 Visual Art Open Call
Collar Works Open Call: HOME
Guest Curator: Cara Manes, Assistant Curator of Painting and Sculpture, MoMA
Deadline to Submit: Friday, September 14th
Home is where the heart is. Home is where you hang your hat. Home away from home. Homemade; homegrown; homespun.
In idioms such as these, and in countless others, the notion of "home" can be understood as expansively as it is clichéd. Sometimes home is a physical place for living--a fixed building with a foundation, or an otherwise portable shelter, where domestic activities such as sleeping, preparing and eating food, and hygienic rituals can be carried out. But home is also a sense of place--one that can conjure feelings of refuge, family, nurture, or protection. And, as a destination ("home base; phoning home; homeward bound"), the idea of home solicits a range of responses, from nostalgia ("there's no place like home") to urgency, as its definition today is continually called into question with every legislative dispute over what constitutes a "border" and a "homeland."
The works in this exhibition consider notions of home in the expanded field. Whether speaking to one's personal relationship to a physical or psychological space, or to a broad sense of what it means to come from someplace, the artists in this exhibition are united in their desire to confront this complicated topic.
Visual Art Guidelines
· Artists can submit up to 5 artworks for consideration.
· All mediums welcome, including site-specific works.
· Sculpture can not exceed 7' max height.
· Collar Works is a non-commission art space. Artists receive 100% of all sales.
· All Shipping & Handling is the responsibility of the artist.
· Artwork must be delivered on or by Saturday, October 13
· Exhibition Dates: October 26- December 22, 2018.
· Opening Reception: Friday, October 26th